Monday, November 14, 2011

A Bit of Nostalgia....

During my growing up years, my parents, aunts, uncles and cousins vacationed together. We stayed at a resort on Lake Kaubashine in northern Wisconsin for two weeks every summer. Later on when my boys were in high school, we returned with my parents. It was always a good time. One meal became a staple of our vacations. This week it was on Marilyn's Table with a couple of new twists.





Pot roast with sliced onions, canned tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.


Pumpkin Ravioli with browned butter and sage





Mom always brought our electric frying pan (remember those?) to prepare it. I used my slow cooker. The roast is seared in a bit of oil until all the sided are browned. Thick slices of onion are laid over the top and a couple of cans of tomatoes poured over everything. I had some kale and some Swiss chard which I chopped and added to the tomatoes along with salt and pepper. The lid is replaced and the dish is slow simmered until the meat is falling apart. Slices of mozzarella cheese are layered over the top and slightly melted. The meat is served with mashed or baked potatoes. The gravy is spooned over all. This is one of my favorite winter dishes and I will prepare it again when the snow flies. I expect to use the leftovers by shredding the meat and spooning some of the gravy over the top and serving it on a Ciabatta roll. Messy but good!





While doing my shopping this week, I came across frozen pumpkin ravioli. I don't usually buy prepared foods, but this was pumpkin ravioli. Pumpkin is a favorite of mine, I even put it in my oatmeal. To my surprise the ravioli pillows were excellent. A bit of sweetness and some spices gave it a lot of flavor. After they were cooked in boiling water I spooned browned butter and sage over the top. Excellent with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese over the top. I will purchase more of the ravioli and keep them in the freezer for later on.



I appears that fall is slowly changing to winter. The colored leaves are pretty much gone and we even had some snow flurries on Thursday. More comfort food will be on the table in the next weeks and, of course, Thanksgiving is only a few days away. Stay warm!

1 comment:

  1. Taken me a while to get over and read this post. I don't know where the week has gone.

    Another fine entry. I can almost smell the roast. The addition of the greens is a nice change-up. I think the whole preparation would be good served over polenta as well. Regardless how you eat it, it did bring back memories. I think a week at a cabin on a lake it long overdo.

    Pumpkin raviolis are one of KM's favorites. I don't always think of them, but there a nice treat when we come across them at the store. Your way of serving them with brown butter sounds good. Have never tried making that. Seems simple enough, but tricky.

    Looking forward to turkey day! Grocery list is nearly complete, New electric roaster is waiting to be christened!

    ReplyDelete