Friday, February 7, 2014

FRENCH DINNER AND MORE.....

I have been lax in keeing up with the blog....I apologize.  Today I plan to 'catch up'.  First is the last class at the French Cooking School.  The best of the 4 classes.  I have learned so much about food and wine parings with the instructors.  Last Tuesday we made a lamb dish with a wine paring. It was amazing and very simple.  The Ratatouille was simple but carefully constructed.  First in the pot are chopped tomatoes, then green peppers, zucchini, eggplant and onion is similar size pieces.  A bay leaf, garlic, Italian seasoning ( no rosemary) and olive oil are added to the pot.  Cook on high for about 15 minutes.  Gently stir and reduce heat to simmer an cook for another 45 minutes to one hour until cooked.   Add salt and pepper.  Garnish with grated parmesan and minced flat leaf parsley.  I chose lamb chops instead of cutting a rack of lamb.  Rub chops with EVOO, S&P and Italian seasoning (no rosemary) Grill 3 - 5 minutes on each side. Serve with a dish of Ratatouille and a glass (or two) Puech-Haute Shiraze.  Excellent!

In the last weeks I have prepared several dishes that were excellent and some......not so much.  I will send the successes.  First for Super Bowl I made a fabulous chicken wing dish.  Most wings are served with BBQ /hot sauces.  This one does not. These wings are basted with a mixture of vegetable oil, garlic powder, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, honey and Siracha sauce. Baste and turn twice.  Serve with a dipping sauce of: chopped shallot sauted in melted butter. Stir in  Apple butter, plain Greek Yogust, Dijon mustard Apple cider Vinegar,  salt and pepper.  This is my new favorite.  I will try this again with boneless, skinlees chicken strips.

The previous week I prepared a Panko crusted salmon.  The crust is Panko, minced parsley,  grated  lemon zest. The fillets are brushed with a mixture of EVOO and Dijon mustard. Pat the Panko mixture and saute  on bottom side. Finish in oven at 425 degrees for 5-7 minutes.

The last dish is a Warm French Lentil Salad.  The recipe had one error in it and the first mixture needed to be dumped.. One sliced leek and one diced carrot are sauted in EVOO..  Add minced garlic, cook 1 minute and set aside.  The recipe calls for French Green lentils, not sure why they are different except they are smaller.  Simmer the lentils in water and add a whole onion studded with cloves and half a turnip. lower heat and simmer uncovered until lentils are almost tender.  Remove onion and turnip.  Drain and toss with cooked lentils.  Dressing is EVOO, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, S&P.  Mix and serve warm.  Excellent.

I hope not to get so far behind again, however,  I plan ton keep up.  Stay tuned to the next weeks.  I have some graeat meals planned. Stay tuned.. I do take requests  for recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment