Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Weather Outside Was Frightful!

Snow...Wind...Cold, we had it all this week. I also spent most of the week feeling poorly. What better way to survive both than to make chicken soup. However, most chicken soup recipes are quite labor intensive; poach a chicken, cool it, cut it up, discard bones and skin and process the broth. Since I was not feeling very well, I took some short cuts that worked out well. This weekend my eats were:

Roasted-Chicken Noodle Soup
Egg Nog Egg Custard


Aside from the long chicken cooking process, I also object to the wide long egg noodles in most soups. When trying to eat them, they splash broth all over the table. your clothes, and runs down your face. I found a nice simple recipe in a Cooking Light cookbook. Carrot, celery, onion and garlic sauteed in oil. A box of good chicken stock and 2 medium diced baking potatoes with skins. I purchased from the deli a garlic roasted rosemary chicken and shredded the meat from one side (the other side will fill in for sandwiches and salads this week) A lot of good flavor in the meat stirred in with a cup of low fat evaporated milk, after the vegetables are cooked. I really like real egg noodles, but was unable to find them at the store (usually in the freezer case) so I used my second favorite; Kluski's European Style No Yolks egg noodles. A nice flavorful satisfying soup which I enjoyed all weekend. I had with it with toasted whole grain bread from the bakery.

For a simple sweet, an egg custard. I have egg nog in the refrigerator from Thanksgiving until New Years and use it in coffee and oatmeal. I substituted one of the cups of milk in the custard with the egg nog. Great flavor with a dusting of nutmeg. And it went well with endless cups of tea.

Hopefully next week I will begin putting together plans for holiday food. Stop by...

1 comment:

  1. Where do I look for these noodles in the store? Planning on them for Christmas dinner with stoganoff and don't remember where to find them.

    ReplyDelete