Monday, June 27, 2011

Lazy Days of Summer

This past weekend was a perfect example of lazy days. Strawberry Fest in Long Grove, an art show in Arlington Heights and a visit to the farmers market were on my schedule. The table featured some of the things that go well with summer eating.

Toasted Pretzel Bread Rounds with Summer Butter and Radishes
Oven Fried chicken
Spicy Cucumber and Blueberry Salad
Green Beans with Wheat Berries

While visiting strawberry fest I stopped into my favorite store, The Olive Tap. They featured a baguette of pretzel bread that smelled wonderful. It was one of the things I brought home. I cut thin slices and lightly toasted them, then spread them with a thin layer of summer butter from the farmers market and topped them with thinly sliced radishes. Added a bit of fresh ground black pepper. They made a nice appetizer with ginger mint iced tea.

Fried chicken is a favorite, but often greasy. The skinless chicken pieces are soaked in buttermilk overnight in the refrigerator. The breading is a mix of flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. I added a bit of dried oregano. After shaking off the excess buttermilk, the chicken pieces are dredged in the flout mix and lightly browned in a cast iron skillet with a bit of canola oil. The pieces are removed and placed on a cookie sheet with a rack and finished in the oven. No grease and the flavor is excellent. I will do this again.

I came across the cucumber/blueberry salad in a magazine and it sounded interesting. I am partial to English cucumbers in plastic; no wax coating and few seeds. A dressing of lime juice, garlic, cumin and EVOO are whisked together and thinly sliced cucumber rounds are added along with one finely diced jalapeno pepper. The blueberries are stirred in at the end. Very refreshing. I will do this one again as well.

I have not worked with wheat berries before and they were quite interesting. One cup is soaked in water overnight in the refrigerator. They are then drained and patted dry. Over medium heat they are toasted in a bit of EVOO and salt. Water is added and they are cooked until the water evaporates. Their texture is firm but chewy. Toss them with cooked green beans and a bit of EVOO, balsamic and sherry vinegars and pepper. I will use the berries with other vegetables. The combination of textures and flavors is one I really liked.

The rest of the weekend I spent on my balcony with more iced tea and a book. I look forward to next weekend, the 4th of July. I am thinking kabobs and perhaps a new potato salad I came across. Four days off will be very nice. I hope the weather cooperates. Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Everything on your menu sounds great! I am thinking a radish sandwich for lunch tomorrow, and wheat berries later in the week. (I love them! They make an awesome pilaf.) As soon as cucs show up at the farmer's market, I will give the salad with blueberries a shot as well. Sounds like you had the best of both worlds for your days off. Going and doing mix with much needed relaxing.

    ReplyDelete