Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Yet Another Hot Summer Weekend

First let me say, that I am not a fan of sandwiches, at least not those served on a bun the size of a football.  Generally I do like what is inside. So during this very hot weather, I decided to prepare a sandwich, salad  and grilled fruit for Marilyn's Table.  In place of a large bun I have used a spinach tomato tortilla wrap.  Here is what is on the table:

Portobello Wrap with White Bean Chile Spread
Shaved Asparagus and Edamame  Salad
Grilled Peaches with Bourbon Sabayon


The filling for the wrap  included some of my favorites.  I purchased a large Portobello cap at the farmers market.  It is wiped clean and the stem and gills removed.  Italian salad dressing is brushed over all and then it is grilled.  While it is grilling on both sides, a can of cannellini beans is drained and placed in a blender with garlic, EVOO, salt, chile powder and blended until smooth. Fresh baby spinach is tossed with a bit of the dressing and set aside with the bean spread for assembly. A wrap is spread  down the center with a thin layer of the bean spread about 3 inches wide. The mushroom is sliced, laid down the center of the wrap and topped with the dressed spinach and crumbled goat cheese, wrapped and cut in half diagonally.  I was a little heavy  handed with the garlic in the paste and would adjust that in the future. Pretty to look at and very tasty.

I served a salad with the wrap.  It was an unusual combination of vegetables, but it too was very pretty and lots of nice flavors.  A bunch of cleaned raw asparagus is shaved into strings and placed in a large bowl with a bit of EVOO.  Thin sliced red onion is added along with thawed edamane  beans.  Orange and lemon juice are added with champagne vinegar and tossed with the vegetables.  Season to taste with salt & pepper. Toasted walnuts and grated parmesan cheese are added and the salad is garnished with torn basil leaves. Serve chilled. Excellent.

Grilling a stone fruit is one of my favorite ways of serving them.  This time I used fresh peaches, but plums would work well also. A sabayon is a custard made with eggs and sugar cooked over a hot water bath.  This recipe called for 2 teaspoons of bourbon for the flavoring.  Well I grabbed the wrong measuring spoon and added 2 tablespoons. Oops!  Quite a zing but yummy over the warm peaches.  A sprig of mint for garnish.

All in all this was a great meal for yet another very hot weekend.  I have no idea what will be on the table next week, but it will depend on the weather.  Perhaps another cold meal.  Have a great week and stop by again.

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds tasty and very fresh. The favorite part of this time of year - the produce! Will have to remember these when I am at a loss. I need to grill some stone fruit. Maybe before our nectarines are gone!

    ReplyDelete