Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Ducky Weekend

It's getting to be that time of year.....my favorite.  Fall!!  There is a bit of color in the leaves, a nip in the air and lots of Canada Geese on our lake.  I enjoy duck when the cooler weather comes.  This is what is on Marilyn's Table this week:

Farmers Market Chopped Salad
Duck breasts a l'Orange
Almond Meringue Cookies with Peaches

I love the salad and expect to prepare it more often, perhaps swapping out some of the ingredients. Everything is raw. This one had snow peas, yellow bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, golden beets, chopped watercress and scallions.  Everything was cut in thin strips and tossed together with a creamy lemon dressing.  The dressing is fresh lemon juice, light mayonnaise, canola oil and salt and pepper.   Lot of crunch and the dressing will be repeated often on other salads.

Since I could not find individual duck breasts.  I purchased a whole duck and with my trusty boning knife took it apart.  I froze the leg/thigh portions and used the breasts for the table.  I roasted the carcass  and then used it to make duck broth.  That joined the leg/thigh portions in the freezer. The breasts are scored on the fat side and slow cooked in a skillet to render off the fat.  The fat is drained off (and now is in my refrigerator) Lots of things, potatoes in particular, are excellent when cooked in duck fat. The breasts are returned to the skillet and cooked until the doneness (not sure if that's a word) you prefer.  I like medium rare. While the breasts cook the orange sauce is made with a sugar syrup, red wine vinegar, duck stock, orange juice, a bit of butter and salt and pepper.  After the sauce is thickened, orange segments are added and blanched orange peel.  It is just sweet enough to cut what little duck fat remains on the breasts.  Next time I will use cherries in place of the orange.

Now for dessert......probably not something I will make again.  Almonds are ground and added with sugar and vanilla to beaten egg whites.  The cook in a slow oven for about 2 hours until crisp.  They are spread with a butter cream made with sugar, egg yolks, butter and  vanilla. The butter cream is covered with sliced peaches, another meringue, more butter cream, whipped cream and toasted almonds.  Makes my teeth itch just thinking about it.  It was way too sweet for my palate.

The weather for next weekend is supposed to be very fallish (not a word either).  A lot of my friends and family prepared chili last weekend, so I will follow their lead and chili will be on Marilyn's Table next week along with some type of bread.  Enjoy the cooler weather and do stop by next week

No comments:

Post a Comment