Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sunday Dinner

This past Friday, I had the privilege of meeting Ina Garten. She appeared at the Barnes and Nobel store in Old Orchard for the signing of her newest cookbook "Foolproof".  She has always been one of my favorites on the Food Network so meeting her was very special.  I  had planned to prepare something from her book, but could not find lamb shanks.  So I had to improvise.  Here is what made it to Marilyn's Table.

Grilled Lamb Chop with Ina's Orzo
Cucumber-Red Onion-Avocado Salad
Pink Drink

The preparation of the orzo changed with substituting the lamb chop for the lamb shank which needs to be cooked a long time. Carrot-celery and yellow onion are sauteed in oil.  When they begin to soften chopped garlic, chicken stock, a large can of tomatoes, dry white wine, bay leaves, orzo and seasonings are added. The pot is set to simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the orzo is cooked.

I grilled the lamb chop to medium rare and served it with the orzo.  This was a nice filling meal which would probably should be enjoyed on a cold winter day.  But the temperature was in the upper 60's.  In December?   Seriously?

The salad was awful (not from Ina's book) and I don't say that often. Thinly sliced English cucumber, red onion and avocado with a dressing of blended cucumber, parsley and seasonings.  The onion overpowered it and the dressing was pretty flat.  I love English cucumber and avocado and will continue to use them in salads, but no to the red onion.

I have not used simple syrup before so this was a new experience.  Most simple syrup is equal parts sugar and water; heated until the sugar is dissolved, cooled and refrigerated.  This syrup added cranberries and the zest from an orange.  After it is cooked until the berries pop, it is cooled and pressed through a strainer to retain just the juice and stored in the refrigerator.  To prepare the drink, a tablespoon of Orange Liquor is spooned into a tall glass with 2 tablespoons of the syrup and topped with either sparkling wine or Ginger Ale.  Frozen cranberries are used as a garnish.  This was a lovely drink and I will make it again over the holidays.

Except for the salad I enjoyed this meal and will try something else from Ina's book in a couple of weeks.  I will be taking a break until then.  I have lots of baking to do and I don't see a meal next week, except for perhaps a soup to hold me over.  Have a wonderful holiday and a New Year filled with good health and happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment