Thursday, February 7, 2013

Super Bowl Munchies

I am a big football fan so the Super Bowl was on my calendar for Sunday evening.  Because I went to my Aunt's 100th birthday in the afternoon, I needed to have make ahead food for the Table. Here is what I made:

Mexican Potato Nachos
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings with and without Ginger-Soy Glaze
Yogurt Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
Stella Artois

The nachos were pretty typical, except the chips were replaced by thinly sliced crispy roasted potatoes.  Browned chopped sirloin, black beans, and taco seasoning topped the slices.  Lettuce, chopped tomato and guacamole garnished them.  I really liked this and I didn't have to buy a huge bag of chips. 

I divided the wings in half and marinated one half in oil, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and hot pepper sauce.  The other half were marinated in honey, soy sauce, crushed garlic and chopped fresh ginger.  I baked them on a jelly roll pan covered in foil and a rack.  The wings cook on all sides and the excess marinade drips off.  The dipping sauce is made from fat free Greek Yogurt, minced garlic, and blue cheese crumbles.  This was an excellent substitute for the rich sour cream blue cheese I have used in the past.

Stella Artois was the beer of choice. The game and the munchies made for a relaxing evening.

Next week would have been a Mardi Gras menu, however, it is also the Chinese New Year. So instead of New Orleans food, I'm thinking celebrating with Chinese food for that New Year.  Have a great week and stay warm.  Strange weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment