Sunday, January 12, 2014

Lighter Fare in the New Year!


I have made some food goals for the New Year and my menues will reflect this.  I will prepare more seafood and poultry, less red meat and Monday's will be meatless.  We shall see how this works out!

Since moving to Asheville I have found a supermarket Ithat has a great fish market.  Lots of choices and knowledgeable staff.  This week the halibut looked especially good so I purchased a 6 ounce portion for the paapillote I have planned. A sauce is made of artichoke heart quarters, garlic, grape tomatoes, fresh mint and sauteed with white wine and a bit of butter. The sauce is poured over the fish and sealed in the parchment paper.  It is baked in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.  The fish is flakey and moist.  It looked good as well. I will use this sauce and method often with fish.

Celery is an underused vegetable.  This salad is composed of thinly sliced celery and diced Granny Smith apple.It is tossed with a bit of the dressing to moisten and then chilled until serving time.  Spoon the salad in a small dish, top with chopped parsley, toasted pine nuts and shaved Parmesan.  Light and refreshing and went well with the halibut.

The dressing is going to be a new favorite.  EVOO, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, minced shallots, celery salt and anchovy paste. Shake and chill.  The dressing will likely last the rest of the week

I hope to continue with the lighter meals so I hope you stop by.  Have a good week.

2 comments:

  1. love your recipes....love fish but hate to cook it....I will have to try this one Mar, thanks. Dianne B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Marlyn! The dressing sounds very good - almost a Caesar...have you ever seen the show Scandinavian cooking on public TV? A lot of great fish recipes.

    ReplyDelete