Monday, February 24, 2014

Everything Old Is New Again!

Growing up one of the things I learned from my Mom was cooking with 'different' cuts of meat.  Lamb Shanks was one of them  Over the years I have prepared them in many ways. She always roasted them while I have learned that braising them in a variety of liquids was my favorite.  When Mom lived in an assisted living apartment, I would bring a braised lamb shank and mashed potato dinner and we would have it together in her apartment.  This week is a celebration of that meal with a new twist.

In a heavy pot thoroughly brown the shanks with salt and pepper and set them aside.  In the dripping saute chopped carrot, celery, onion and garlic until softened.  Stir in some tomato paste, salt and pepper and stir to combine.  Add some hearty red wine and bring to a simmer.  Add browned lamb shanks back to pan and add beef stock to cover, bay leaves and several sprigs of fresh thyme..  Place covered in a 400 degree oven and cook for a couple of hours turning the shanks half way through. Check every 45 minutes or so and if liquid is low, add more stock. When shanks are tender remove from heat and serve with the gravy over your favorite potatoes or try the following.

Everyone loves mashed potatoes, and there are many recipes.  Using different kinds of potatoes and additions; hot buttered milk, cream cheese, and mashed cooked garlic. Skins on or skin off. Lately I have read about substituting  mashed cauliflower.  I found an interesting recipe that I tried. Clean the cauliflower and separate the florets..  Clean and smash several garlic cloves and cook with the cauliflower in a small amount of water.  I cooked the mix in the microwave so I didn't need a lot of water, just enough to steam and soften them. In a bowl, mash the cooked garlic cauliflower mix and stir in some sour cream and plain Greek yogurt. Salt and pepper to taste.I think this will be a new favorite.

I served the shanks over a mound of the mashed cauliflower and topped it with a gremolata. Gremolata is a mixture of orange and lemon zest, minced parsley, garlic and a spoon of prepared horseradish.


Loved this meal....it brought back a lot of memories.

See you next week. I hope to find some inspiration at the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment