Sunday, October 18, 2009

My New Toy!

Several years ago my slow cooker died. I had not thought to replace it since I have limited space. A month or so ago I came across a combination slow cooker and roaster. I thought it would be nice to roast things without having to turn on the oven, so I gave it a shot. This week went this way:

Mediterranean Roast Turkey Breast
Tomato and Mozzarella Tart
Pears Poached in Sangria with Toffee and Cream

Since the roaster is new, I didn't know quite what to expect. The turkey breast was roasted with kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, onion, Greek spices and broth. It came out very nicely. The Mediterranean ingredients flavored the meat and it is fall of the bone good. The roasting mixture made a nice sauce for the turkey. The skin didn't brown as I had hoped, but since I remove it anyway, it didn't matter much. Something I will need to work on as I use it for roasting. I expect to freeze some of the turkey to use later on in soup, etc.

The tomatoes were the last of the fresh from the farmers market. With the cheese, garlic and basil it made a nice side dish for the turkey.


The pears were a surprise. They were poached in Sangria with sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Then removed to cool while the syrup simmered and thickened. I expect a nice red wine would work well. The toffee was very easy, something I had never made. Butter and brown sugar cooked until it came together. A drop went into a glass of water. It became hard so the liquid is poured onto a baking sheet. Dark chocolate chips are sprinked on top to melt and then spread over the surface. The mixtue is refrigerated until it hardens. Sangria syrup is spooned into the bottom of a dish. The pears are layed on top. More syrup is drizzled over the pears, then the shards of toffee and a dollop of whipped cream Very nice, not over sweet or filling.

Some good things this week and for the most part I was happy with the results. Next week is a busy one, but I plan to do a fall pasta dish for the when I am at home. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment