Sunday, October 25, 2009

Kohler Food & Wine Experience

This event in Kohler, Wisconsin has become a favorite. The venue is exceptional at The American Club Resort and The Shops at Woodlake. Both are alive with tastings and demonstrations from renowned chefs and purveyors of cheese, wine, beer, sauces and all manner of food items. I had a ticket to see Jacques Pepin and his daughter Claudine. Charming doesn't begin to describe the two of them. They greeted us as we filed into the Stella Artois Main Stage tent. They graciously posed for pictures and after their presentation, signed cookbooks for everyone who wanted. Next week I will revisit the 4 dishes they presented for us, but more about that later. We were served samples of the foods demonstrated and also a lovely French red wine from Little James' Basket Press. The Gourmet Marketplace was in The Grand Hall of The American Club. The many vendors brought products for sale and sampling. I had not had Kobe beef or foie gras before. Both were interesting and I enjoyed them, but I don't see what the fuss is about. One of my purchases was from Oro di Olivia. A lovely bottle of cinnamon pear balsamic and another of walnut oil. I used these two this week in my food which follows:

Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta (Rachael Ray)
Mixed Winter Greens with a Cinnamon Pear Balsamic and Walnut Oil Dressing

I used a whole wheat penne pasta cooked in salted water and drained. The sauce is onion and garlic sauted in olive oil. Chicken stock is added along with canned pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and a few dashes of hot sauce. When heated through a bit of cream is stirred in before returning the pasta to the sauce. Sage leaves are sliced thin and added (reserving some for garnish) It is served with the reserved sage leaves and a few pinches of Parmesan cheese. A nice dish in a hurry and can be reheated easily.

The salad was a simple mix of greens (romaine, arugula and spinach) 2 tablespoons of walnut oil and 1 tablespoon of the balsamic are tossed with the greens. I would think perhaps sliced pears or apples would be a nice touch as would some roasted nuts.

I was happy with both the pasta and the salad. My weekend was very busy and these were quickly prepared and were very tasty.

As I mentioned, next week I will recreate the 4 dishes Jacques and Claudine prepared for us. Join me won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment