Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lidia's Bolognese X 2

Over the years, I've heard of and seen bolognese prepared, but never tried it. So this week I decided to go to one of the authorities of Italian cooking, Lidia Bastianich and her book "Lidia's Family Table". This project evolved into the most labor intensive one thus far.

Ragu' alla Bolognese
Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil
Baked Persimmon Pudding


I was not aware that there is a white bolognese as well as a red one. Unable to decide between the two, after preparing the meat mixture base, I divided it and prepared both. The white uses milk and nutmeg and has a gentle flavor and texture. The red uses red wine, tomatoes, and has more of a bite. Lots of blending, processing in both preparations. Both sauces are hearty and I would expect to see them used successfully over polenta or gnocchi, in lasagna, in risotto, and perhaps with ravioli. A good meal on a damp cold night. I had asiago bread with it to sop up the gravy.

As a side dish the beans, tomato, Mozzarella and basil dish is quick and easy. The vegetables, basil and fresh Mozzarella slices are tossed with salt, pepper and a bit of EVOO. A topping of Panko bread crumbs and grated Parmesan covers the top and baked for less than half an hour. Colorful and full of flavor.

To finish off the meal, I took a detour. I saw persimmons in the store and as I have never cooked with them, brought some home. One of my Face Book Friends speaks of a persimmon pudding he likes very much. I hunted up a recipe (don't know if it's the same one) and prepared it. The aroma while baking is very nice. I served a portion with a drizzle of melted raspberry jam and a tiny bit of whipped cream. Not too sweet, just right. Thank you Joe I will make this again.

All in all this was a good week. I have a freezer full of bolognese and will enjoy it over the cold winter. Next week? I am undecided, but perhaps a soup? We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know how I missed this post until now. I was so looking forward to your "Lidia" weekend. Anyway, your preparations sound very tasty and very hardy. Will look into her book. Can't go wrong with Italian food.

    We too tried persimmon pudding last year when we found some at an Asian market. As you say, it smelled very good (kind of like spice cake) and had a mild not to sweet flavor. Sounds like the kind of persimmons that Joe gets from home in Indiana differ from those found in most stores. Would be interested in trying Joe's recipe to see how thye compare.

    ReplyDelete