Sunday, November 1, 2009

More Fast Food My Way

Last week in their Kohler presentation, Jacques and Claudine prepared 4 dishes from his book "More Fast Food My Way" Although this was not a quite a 30 minute meal, it is close.

Smoked Salmon Pizza
Crusty Chicken Thighs with Mushroom Sauce
Spinach with Macademia Nuts and Craisins
Skillet Apple Charlotte

The pizza is a elegant looking appetizer. The store had an Indian Naan which I crisped in the oven. It is then spread with a mixture of sour cream and horseradish. Thinly sliced smoked salmon and red onion are put on top. Garnish with parsley leaves. I really liked this and will prepare it again.

Chicken thighs are a good choice for this dish. They remain moist as they cook. A cut down each side of the bone and the flesh opened up allows the thickest part of the thigh to cook evenly and quickly. The thighs are put skin side down in a very hot pan until the skin is very crispy and brown. The heat is lowered and the pan is covered until the thighs are done, about 15 minutes. Remove the thighs and keep warm. Onions, garlic and sliced baby bellas are cooked in a small amount of the fat from the chicken. Some white wine is added and reduced. Usually when I cook poultry I remove the skin after cooking, but since the fat has cooked off, the remaining skin is more of a crust. The color of the chicken is lovely when served over the mushroom sauce. The dish cooks quickly and I would think using a duck breast instead of the thighs might be an interesting option. Lots of flavor!

The Macademias are cut in half and browned in a bit of oil. The spinach is added and cooks down very quickly. The craisins add a bit of color and a tang. The original recipe called for raisins which are not a favorite. I think the craisins are a better choice.

I have never prepared a Charlotte. The recipes I have seen required a special dish and is a bit tedious. This is prepared in a single small skillet and finished in the oven. When inverted on a serving plate it is glazed with peach jam. Very nice and not too sweet or heavy.

This was a very nice meal and none of the recipes was a disappointment. A good possibility for a week night supper.

Next week?.... I have no idea at the moment.

4 comments:

  1. OK, I could definitely eat all of this. Even though I am not a fan of chicken on the bone, I am curious about chicken thighs. Have seen other recipes using them, and they look great. I think I have seen Jacques do the dessert before, but don't recall exactly how it was assembled. Great time of year for apple desserts of all kinds! I am having a great time reading this blog. You are doing an excellent job of relating your menus, preparation highlights and final thoughts about successes, disappointments and ideas for changes, alterations and substitutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I suggest some Lydia Bastianich (sp?) as a possible future feature?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her book is next after this weekend. Am doing Vermont food this weekend. Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn-

    I made this myself and loved it!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete