Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy 'lighter' New Year

Happy New Year to you all!! For those of you who have followed my blog for the past months, you know that my inspiration came from seeing "Julie and Julia" last fall. The thought of blogging about cooking inspired me to do something similar. So here goes 2010.

I thought it fitting that the first menu be a 'Julia' one. One of her signature dishes has always been 'Boeuf Bourguignon'. Since I have decided to 'lighten' up my food I thought this a good one to start with. Jacques Pepin also does this dish and this month the Weight Watchers Magazine did a section on lightening up Julia's food.

Boeuf Bourguignon
Roasted Potatoes
Green Salad with Clememtines

For the most part the 3 recipes for this dish have the same ingredients, except for the bacon/pancetta. Most of the other ingredients just have different amounts. That being the case I made the base the same. When the pearl onions, mushroom, wine, broth mixture with carrots and yellow onions was complete, I divided it and cooked the browned meat with each and in one the sauted and drained pancetta to see what the difference in taste was. Turned out, the pancetta didn't change the taste much. But cutting the calories (WW points) was significant. I hope the rest of the years recipes come out as successful as this. I love Boeuf Bourguignon and this was a definite 'do again',

I fixed roasted potatoes and a green salad with it.

Next week I hope to return to the seafood world. I think I'm ready to try salmon again, just not poached. Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment