Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rain, Fog and Cold = Comfort Food

Nasty weather all weekend. Fog, rain and cold. Most of the snow is gone, but more expected during the week. Good weekend to stay indoors and enjoy some comfort food.

Quick Coq au Vin
Caramelized Onion and Grapefruit Salad

The chicken recipe came from one of my Cooking Light cookbooks. It went together quickly and is very tasty. Skinless chicken thighs, carrots, Canadian bacon, and mushrooms simmered in a sauce of red wine, chicken broth, tomato paste and thyme. Recipe called for boneless thighs, but a lot of flavor comes from cooking on the bone. This is true not only for poultry, but meat as well. It reheated very well after work on Sunday so I could watch football.

I kept the salad components separate so they would work well on day 2. The onions are caramelized in EVOO, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. A dressing of red wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, EVOO and salt and pepper was divided after mixing. The salad itself is made up of romaine lettuce torn in pieces, thinly sliced fennel, English cucumber, shallots and pink grapefruit sections. Dressing was tossed on half of the salad each day. The onions are served on top. Very refreshing along side the chicken.

I had another dish on the menu, but time ran out and I think it would have been too much. So the mushroom apple tart will be worked in next week. Just need to decide what will go with it?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good cold weather meal. I especially like the sounds of the salad. We have a grapefruit or two in the fridge, so I may give it a try this week. Can see doing the Coq au Vin too, but think I would have to go with the boneless thighs. I have this thing about chicken on the bone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it comes out. Found an interesting meatloaf recipe I will do this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love meatloaf! The Hubbard Ave. Diner in Middleton has the best. Guess that's why they call it Meatloaf of the Gods.

    ReplyDelete