Monday, February 15, 2010

Simply Fish

After the feeding frenzy last week, I thought I should lighten up the cooking. I chose to do fish two ways:

Mustard Roasted Cod with Red and Green Peppers, Onion and Thyme
Steamed Green Beans with Lemon and Dill

Pan Sauteed Tilapia with Capers and Thyme
Roasted Broccoli with Lemon Pepper and EVOO

I decided that cod is not my favorite fish. Bland even with the mustard and vegetables. Colorful however, and since green beans are a favorite, the meal was not a disaster. Will try it again with a different fish.

The Tilapia was a different story. Loved it. Dusted with a bit of Wondra, dipped in egg and sauteed in a bit of EVOO. Added a tiny bit of butter and white wine to the pan drippings along with the capers and thyme leaves for a nice light sauce. Toasted slivered almonds finished the dish. I think my new favorite way to fix vegetables is to roast them. Easy and they keep their color and crunch. Tossed the broccoli with EVOO, salt and pepper and roasted them until tender crisp. A bit of lemon pepper and they were good to go.

The two meals were pretty successful (except for the cod) and I didn't feel guilty eating them.

I think next week brining is on the table. Have not done it in a bit and really like what it adds to whatever protein used. Probably a Cornish hen or perhaps some pork....or both.

Also will let you know how my dinner with friends goes tonight. We are going to the Kendall College Culinary Arts dining room. The menu features foods from Peru and Chile. Don't know much about either so it should be an adventure.

2 comments:

  1. How weird that you prepared tilapia this way! I did a Tilapia Picatta for our Valentine's evening meal. Paired our with a brown rice pilaf, and stewed grape tomatoes.

    Looking forward to hearing about your meal at Kendall College. We just got a new Peruvian restaurant not far from home. (In the mall that used to house Rowe Potter Works many years ago.) Read a review in Sunday's paper, an it sounds like it's worth a look.

    Have a great week. Thanks again for the great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brillant piece of information, I had come to know about your web-page from my friend hardkik, chennai,i have read atleast 9 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your webpage gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a million once again, Regards, cornish hen recipe

    ReplyDelete