Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Bowl Weekend!!

Well, this was a great foodie weekend. Saturday was exceptional!

OMG Meatloaf with Red Wine Glaze
Brussels Sprouts and Fingerling Potatoes Roast


I have had the meatloaf recipe in my 'to try' folder for a few weeks. The 25 ingredients was a bit off putting. It turned out to be one of the BEST I've had. Most ingredients were of minimal amounts. Lots of herbs and spices. The meat was the surprise; ground lamb, pork and veal? No beef...OK so veal is baby beef?? The glaze is excellent and perfect for the ending of the roasting time.

The Brussels sprouts/potato dish was quick and easy. I have not used fingerling's before (they are a bit pricey.) Both are washed and cut in half, tossed with EVOO, salt and pepper and fresh thyme. Very good; even if you are not a Brussels sprouts fan.

The Game:

Hurricanes
Muffuletta
Adobo-Seasoned Chicken Wings
Jackie Jet Killer Chili in Muffin Cups
Bananas Foster

I really tried to use Indiana recipes, but except for Amish there are minimal. Will do an Amish menu later on. I don't think they watch football? New Orleans is a fabulous foodie town. The Hurricane is a big drink there. Lots of variations, but the one I chose was very good. The muffuletta is a great sandwich with ham, salami, Swiss and provolone cheeses. The olive salad is one I have in the cabinet all the time. Boscoli in a jar is excellent.

The wings are a recipe from Bobby Flay. Spicy but not overwhelming. The glaze is made from mango/honey/hot sauce. Great dish!


Indianapolis has a chili recipe, but it has lots of sugar, not one of my favorite ingredients. I try new chili recipes often but always go back to Jackie Jet's. His is the best. Thank you John for sharing. This I served in muffin cups. The cups are made on the back of a muffin tin. A nice size for the chili. Topped with grated cheddar and crushed Fritos.

I was hopeful that a recipe from Indiana would be good for dessert. However, the two I came across were not ones I was interested in. The persimmon pudding is one I did several weeks ago and enjoyed. The other is something called 'sugar pie' It just sounded yucky! Way too sweet. So I did Bananas Foster (I had leftover rum from the hurricanes) Was a bit nervous about flaming food, but it was OK and I didn't start my apartment on fire.

All in all this was a great weekend.

Probably next week will be a gentler menu. Hope you enjoyed the game!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of food to dip back into all week. Glad to hear that it was all successful.

    When you get a chance, can I get the meatloaf recipe. We actually get cravings for meatloaf at our house. Yours sounds intriguing.

    LOVE Muffeletta! Where you you find the olive salad you mentioned? I will look for it and maybe do the sandwich in the next week or so in honor of Mardi Gras. (Maybe a pitcher of Hurricanes too.) What kind of bread did you use?

    Our gameday feast was very good as well. Now to figure out what to have for dinner tonight.

    ~ C

    ReplyDelete
  2. The olive salad is a bit hard to find. Try someplace that does gourmet stuff. It's really good. The jar I have I got in Galena, but I have seen it here, just have to remember where? I used a semi-hard roll and scooped out part of the inside so the olive salad would not fall out. Will send you the meatloaf recipe. It is one of my new favorites. I only make half recipes so I will have some leftovers, but not a lot. The bananas foster was my challenge. Something about real flames make me a bit nervous, but all came out well. Will send you the meatloaf recipe

    ReplyDelete