Sunday, October 31, 2010

Beyond Jack O Lantern and Pie

I have used pumpkin in many ways this year more than ever before. I try to use more colorful foods in my diet and pumpkin is very colorful. This weeks has been part of that project.

Roasted Brats with Apple Chutney
Stuffed Pumpkin
Ginger-Pumpkin Souffle

The brats were a recipe that was part of the demonstration at the Food Wine Experience last week. The brats are browned and placed upon a bed of apples, onions, garlic, salt, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, mustard seeds, and slivers of fresh ginger and roasted. This is a great recipe for brats. The chutney is an excellent addition.

The stuffed pumpkin was an new experience for me. Have read about them often, but this the first time I have done one. The hardest part was cleaning out the pumpkin. I should have made a larger opening, but it worked out OK. Salt and pepper the inside of the cleaned out pumpkin. In a bowl I mixed dried bread cubes, Gruyere cheese cubes, diced garlic cloves, cooked bacon and mushrooms, green onion slices, and thyme. Cream and nutmeg is poured over the mixture inside the pumpkin and baked. It came out super. I loved the flavors with the pumpkin and was a great and delicious show piece.

The souffle was also a great addition. It was calorie conscious and very good. Soy milk was used with fresh ginger, eggs and canned pumpkin. The process is much as other souffles. The baked souffle is lovely and I sprinkled the toasted seeds from the pumpkin on top.

This was a pumpkin celebration and most enjoyable. We shall see what next week brings. No soup today since I have a lot leftover from last week.

Have a great autumn week and keep warm.

1 comment:

  1. Might have to look for a small pumpkin the next time I am at the store and give your stuffed pumpkin recipe a try. Sounds very good. Think the girls would enjoy, especially with squash being one of KM's favorites. The brats sound great too. Perfect for this time of year, and since we aren't big on eating ours with buns, this way of preparing them would be good. You picked the perfect weekend to give all of these a try.

    ReplyDelete