Sunday, October 10, 2010

On a Mission....

This weekend I thought I would begin a mission of searching for recipes for the cold winter months ahead. They will be prepared on weekends and reprised during the week. I am a huge fan of meatloaf and risotto and tried the first of what I expect will be several recipes for each. Also a recipe for soup to take to work during the cold weather to come. Here is what was on my table:

Pork-and-Pumpkin Chili
Creamy Baked Pumpkin Risotto
Meatloaf with Tomato Relish

The chili is a bit labor intensive, but was worth all the chopping and simmering. I worked with 2 ingredients I have not used before; poblano peppers and mustard greens. Pork shoulder is an inexpensive and flavorful cut of meat requiring a lot of trimming to cut into cubes which are simmered in Mexican beer and water, skimming off surface foam. Diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and dried oregano are stirred in. Chopped tomatoes, onions and the poblano are sauteed in oil in a skillet with salt and pepper. More oregano, chili powder and garlic are added as is a can of pumpkin. This is added to the simmering pork for 30 minutes. Add the chopped mustard greens and simmer until they are tender. The chili is served with a dollop of a sour cream/pumpkin mixture and a lime wedge. It does have a bit of a bite to it but I expect will become a cold weather favorite.

Risotto is an easy enough preparation, but requires careful attention. The addition of hot broth to the rice cannot be ignored or all will be lost. I found a risotto recipe that is prepared in the oven. Broth, arborio rice, diced butternut squash, canned pumpkin, diced onion, salt, and pepper are stirred together in a baking dish. The dish is covered in foil and put in the oven for about 35 minutes. The foil is lifted a couple of times during the baking and the mixture stirred. When most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked, it is removed from the oven and grated cheese, cream cheese, EVOO and chopped herbs are added. I used the last of the basil from my herb garden. The dish is very pretty to look at and yummy. I can think of other combinations of vegetables, etc. to use in place of the squash and pumpkin. Another winner!

I think there are as many meatloaf recipes out there as there are people who love it. Everyone has their own favorite. The one I chose is a bit different in that a tomato relish is prepared, cooled and about half is mixed with the meats. The relish is made of tomatoes, onion, garlic, red bell pepper and chopped flat leaf parsley. After the mixture is cooked and the vegetables are softened, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper are added. Stir the relish into equal parts of ground chuck and pork, eggs, dry thyme, milk soaked bread, salt and pepper. A loaf is formed and placed on a rack on a cookie sheet. The rack keeps the meatloaf from sitting in the fat that will come out during cooking. More relish is spooned over the top and strips of bacon are laid lengthwise over the relish on the top. Bake until thermometer registers 155 degrees in the center. Cool slightly and slice. I am not sure I will need to try any other recipes. This one really rocks!

I am very pleased with this table and will proceed with my mission of discovering foods that can be prepared ahead and used again, perhaps in other forms. Leaves more time for reading and other indoor activities.

Have a good week and I hope you try some of these during the cold weather. Bon Appetit.

1 comment:

  1. Once again...YUM! Turned out to be kind of a warm weekend for you cool weather fare. Glad to hear that you were happy with all the results.

    ReplyDelete