Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Blast from the Past

This week has had several days of R & R in Galena Illinois, one of my favorite places. Thank you to Fran and Brian at Aldrich Guest House for your hospitality and great company. I will be back. Dinner out is always a delight and I will recreate my dinner at Fried Green Tomatoes at a later date.

I think one of my first restaurant orders as a young adult was trout almondine and it was part of my table this week:

Trout Almondine
Corn and Couscous Salad
Black Forest Brownie Pecan Tart

Whole Foods had very nice looking trout this week and preparing it lightly cooked in butter and oil. A toasted almond topping with orange zest was a good addition. Love trout.

The salad was a new combination I found in a Martha Stewart cookbook. Not one of my favorites as her recipes tend to be a bit over the top. This was sauteed onion, diced jalapeno, garlic and corn. This mixed with couscous steamed in hot broth. Tossed with cilantro and seasoned. I really enjoyed this served at room temperature or hot.

I'm not much for desserts, but I do have some favorites. I love pecan pie and black forest cake. This dessert is a smaller combination of both. The pecan pie has melted chocolate added and baked in a graham cracker tart crust. A cherry pie filling is spooned over the top and a squirt of whipping cream makes it a festive dessert. Will keep this in mind for the future.

The soup for the week is Watercress-Cauliflower soup. Onion and cauliflower are simmered in broth with seasonings and watercress is stirred in at the end. When cooled slightly it is pureed in a blender. Served with chopped chives. Simple and quite good.

Next week is a puzzle and will be a surprise for us all. Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment