Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Week at the Table

It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is this week. A three day work week means lots to get done so I can leave early on Thursday for dinner with the Wisconsin Family. I thought that because I have lots to do, I would prepare a table that would lend to reheating during the week. Here is the table:

Caesar Salad on Flatbread
Tamale Pie
Lemon pudding in Puff Pastry Shell

I've said before I'm not much into baking, but the recipe for the flat bread sounded simple enough. Flour, salt, a bit of oil and water in the processor until the dough starts to come away from the sides. Form into a ball and roll out on a lightly floured surface. It is a free from shape, good thing because is certainly was oddly shaped. Lay it on a baking sheet and lightly brush with EVOO. It baked up nicely and was very crispy. The salad was chopped romaine lettuce dressed with EVOO, lemon juice, a bit of mayo and seasonings. Tossed with the salad is grated Parmesan cheese. The salad is spread on the flatbread which is still warm. I really liked this; a different and unusual way to have salad and 'bread'. I see this with chili, stew and lots of soups.

The tamale pie is a simple one dish preparation. In a large skillet ground turkey is browned and mixed with pinto beans, sliced black olives, chopped green chilies, chili powder and a jar of salsa. While this heats through corn meal and more chili powder is cooked with water until thickened. It is spooned over the meat mixture and topped with shredded cheddar cheese. The dish is heated in the oven until cheese melts. The recipe says it reheats in a microwave...we shall see as it will be dinner most nights this week.

I have not used puff pastry in years, but this sounded easy and looked very pretty in the cookbook. The shells are baked until puffed and browned. The lemon curd is cooked atop the stove until thickened. The whites that are not used in the curd are whipped with a bit of sugar and lemon zest is folded in. The meringue is spread on top of the curd filled shell and put back into the oven to brown. A very pretty presentation and quite simple. I love lemon curd...not too sweet!

My offering at the table on Thursday are 2 appetizers and.....GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE. I love the stuff. It would not be a holiday with out it.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving to all my FB friends. I expect next week will be a lower calorie table.

1 comment:

  1. half a recipe of mincemeat would be more than enough! i just made 50 3 inch tarts and i am looking at a huge amount of leftover mincemeat. i don't know if i will ever learn to cook small amounts. i always make too much of everything! let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete