Sunday, January 9, 2011

Healthy Table Challenge

This week at Marilyn's Table is the beginning of healthier menus for the new year. I recently purchased a book 'Super foods; The Healthiest Foods on the Planet' 200 foods are profiled and it should be a challenge to use them in my cooking. I expect I will be using more organics as well. This week at the table:

Chicken Thighs with Roasted Apples and Garlic
Sweet Potatoes Smashed with Steamed Broccoli

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Apples and garlic seemed a strange combination, but I found them to be an excellent compliment to each other. Granny Smith apples are cut in chunks and mixed with minced garlic. The mixture is the base for the chicken thighs which are lightly seasoned. When the chicken is cooked, the apples are mashed with a fork and served with the thigh on top. One apple per thigh worked well. I did leave the skin on the thigh until they were cooked, but served them with the skin removed.

The potato broccoli mash is not new for me, but one of which I am very fond. Sweet potatoes and broccoli are high on the super food list. The potatoes are cut in cubes and simmered in light chicken broth. The broccoli is added and cooked until softened but still very green. The potato and broccoli mix is mashed and some of the broth is added to make the mixture smoother. This was a very colorful plate.

One of my favorite 'go to' foods is rotisserie chicken from Jewel. My soup this week is chicken tortilla with Swiss chard and butternut squash. The squash is cooked in chicken broth with garlic and minced onion. A can of diced tomatoes with green chilies are stirred in as is chopped Swiss chard. At the end 2 cups of chopped cooked chicken is added. The soup is served with corn tortillas which have been cut in strips, sprayed with olive oil spray and toasted in the oven. The soup is filling and has a lot of flavor without salt added.

All in all I am happy with this first 'healthy' meal and look forward to picking my menu for next week. Stay warm and Happy Cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment