Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weight Watcher Challenge

At the beginning of the year I decided it was time to 'lighten up' my menus. This week I joined Weight Watchers at Work and purchased the new cookbook "Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook" It is excellent and will use it exclusively for the next weeks. I plan to visit Hilton Head in June and would rather suffer from sunburn than from being harpooned?! Here is what's on this weeks table:

Pork Roast with Winter Vegetables
Peach Melba

Chinese Noodle Soup

Breakfast Tostada

The pork roast is small, about 2 pounds and rubbed with lemon zest, chopped rosemary, minced garlic and S&P. The very thin layer of fat on the roast virtually disappears while roasting. The rub is very fragrant. The vegetables are chopped into one inches pieces and spread around the meat; Butternut squash, parsnips, carrots and celery. I tossed the vegetables several times during roasting. The pork is flavorful and sliced to 1/4 inch slices.

A simple green salad with EVOO and vinegar dressing is served along side.

Two slices of the pork and 1 cup of the vegetables is 7 WW points.

Later in the afternoon I had the peach Melba. 1/2 cup fat free frozen vanilla yogurt with peaches and mashed blackberries. Just the right amount of sweetness for someone who is not a sweets person. 5 WW points

It turns out the chili I made last week in almost totally repeated in the cookbook. I will have leftovers along with Trader Joe's frozen brown rice this week for lunch. 9 WW points.

This week is Chinese New Year; the year of the rabbit? I didn't care to look for rabbit, but the Chinese Noodle Soup called for thin strips of cooked pork (leftover from dinner on Saturday) In chicken broth, scallions, minced fresh ginger, soy sauce, halved baby bok choy, matchstick carrots, baby spinach and cooked soba noodles are simmered with the cooked pork. A nice light soup. 3 WW points.


Since I was going to meet friends for dinner on Sunday, I made a Breakfast Toastada for brunch. A lightly toasted corn tortilla with a salsa of tomato, onion , jalapeno and lime juice, a poached egg, cilantro and low fat cheddar cheese. Also had orange segments. Filling and will keep me until I leave. 4 WW points.

I look forward to my menu next week. Seafood and Super Bowl salsas are on the menu. Have a great week and stay warm. Lots of snow in the forecast.

2 comments:

  1. This all sounds great! Pork is one of my favorite meats. Hardly what you might expect of "diet" food. I have considered looking into the Weight Watchers cookbooks for ideas. Will keep an eye here to see how things go. Though I don't fear getting harpooned at any time in the near future (When was the last time I went to the beach?) I have felt a little uncomfortable in my clothes (and skin for that matter) lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds too good to be good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete