Sunday, March 20, 2011

Celebrating the Spring Equinox

At 6:21 PM spring comes to the Midwest. Looking outside you'd never know it. It's a cold rainy day. At the start of spring, day and night are approximately 12 hours long, thus equinox or equal. Spring brings thoughts of spring foods. Three of my spring favorites are asparagus, morel mushrooms and strawberries. Here is what is on Marilyn's Table to celebrate these fresh spring foods.

Asparagus and Artichokes in Tarragon Vinaigrette
Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Morels and Thyme
Honey Coconut Cream Tarts with Toasted Coconut and Strawberries

The salad is a lovely presentation. Blanched asparagus and artichoke hearts are arranged on a bed of a mixed spring greens. A garnish of chopped baby spinach is mixed with chopped hard cook egg and minced fresh tarragon. The dressing brings it all together and I will use it again and again over the spring and summer. The vinaigrette has EVOO, heavy cream, French mustard, tarragon vinegar and salt and pepper.

Fresh morels are available for a very short time in spring and are very perishable. I only purchased fresh ones once and most had to be thrown away because the went bad. Because they have such a short life, they are very pricey. So I have treated myself to one package of dried morels each year. I went to four stores before I found any. This recipe reconstitutes a handful in warm water; the mushrooms are removed, drained and chopped. The mushroom water is saved for the sauce. The tenderloin is cut in medallions and browned in a bit of EVOO until almost cooked through. They are removed from the pan and covered to keep warm. A bit of butter is added to the browned bits in the pan. The chopped morels are added as are a mix of chopped fresh wild mushrooms. Chicken stock, chopped thyme and the mushroom liquid are added and reduced by half. The pork is returned to the pan and the dish is simmered until the pork is cooked through. The medallions are served with a spoonful of the mushroom sauce. The house took on an earthy aroma from cooking the mushrooms. I felt like I had taken a walk in the woods in early spring when things are beginning to awaken.

Dessert took on a last minute change. I bought lavender during the holiday's for some lavender and rose water cookies. I have no idea what I did with the bag of lavender I had left. So instead of a lavender syrup reduction, I changed the assembly some. A honey coconut pudding is made and put in graham cracker tart shells and chilled until firm. They are served with toasted coconut on top with strawberry halves and a sprig of fresh mint. Very refreshing and a pretty dish as well. I'm sure when I spring clean my kitchen the lavender will appear and I will try again. I do have a recipe for strawberry lavender muffins I will try.

Saturday night was also the night of the 'supermoon'. This event of a full moon happens only every 18 years. The moon is closer to the earth than at any other time. The low hanging moon looks unnaturally large and appears close enough to touch. Unfortunately, our sky was cloud covered and the moon was not visible. I will mark my calendar for 2029 when this event will happen again. However at 86 years, I will likely not remember why I marked the calendar.

Have a great week and hopefully warmer, drier weather will grace us with it's presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment