Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall???

The last couple of weeks have been a strange mix of weather. The menu on Marilyn's Table reflects most of the mix.

Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast
Roasted Baby Spring Vegetables
Meringue Nests with Berries

I love turkey; it's not just for Thanksgiving anymore. Though for spring I have chosen a breast. The recipe called for a skinless breast, however, I have discovered that a breast cooked long enough to be cooked through without skin would be dry. I chose to leave the skin on and put the herb mixture under the skin and remove the skin when cooked. The herb rub is chopped garlic, sage, thyme, and rosemary leaves, chopped and mixed with a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper. The aroma is excellent. Turkey slices are very versatile and I will use them in many ways this week.

The vegetable mixture is simply spring vegetables. This dish can be changed to reflect the freshness of the season. A tablespoon of EVOO is put in a 9X13 pan along with baby carrots, fingerling potatoes, cut in half, and radishes, quartered. The vegetables are tossed with salt and pepper. and roasted for about 20 minutes. Asparagus pieces and cherry tomatoes are added with white balsamic vinegar and a diced shallot. Return to the oven stirred for another 5 minutes. Cool and toss in chopped parsley. I have not made roasted radishes before and I will do them again. A nice flavor and texture. It's a beautiful dish and very good.

Dessert this week is a simple meringue of egg whites and sugar, beaten and baked into shell forms. Diced strawberries fill the center and a simple whipped topping is added with a mint leaf.

I'm hopeful by next week we will have real spring weather. We shall see what presents itself for next week. Have a great week!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you when it comes to turkey. Might have to pick up a breast on my next trip to store.

    Craving roasted veggies now. Will have to try radishes cooked.

    Were these all Weight Watchers recipes? I notice that you didn't mention points this post. Mary said that Joyce is now doing WW as well. So far she has lost forty lbs.!

    Looking more and more appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn, this all sounds delicious. I wish I could join you for this feast. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete