Sunday, April 3, 2011

Winter to Spring

The weekend is neither winter or spring, but a transition. Given the warmer temperatures and the sight of green shoots coming from the ground signaling the arrival of spring flowers, I decided it was time to check out my freezer for signs of things for seasonal change. I found a pork loin and decided to go with it for a couple of pork dishes to end the heavy winter season. The following are on Marilyn's Table to show the end of the winter season of heavy food and the entrance of spring.

Pork and Artichoke Stew with Avgolomono
Sherried Pork
Snow Pea-Radish Slaw
Strawberry-Mango Granita

The first pork dish is a stew with artichoke hearts and Avgolomono. The artichokes are cut up and reduced to the hearts which are placed in lemon water in order not to turn brown. The pork chunks are browned in a Dutch oven on all sides with chopped onion. White wine, chicken broth, artichokes, lemon juice, dill and more broth are added and simmered. The pork and artichokes are removed and the kept warm. The avgolemono is prepared. Combine egg, water, lemon juice in bowl. With water and cornstarch, mix and add to egg mixture. Add to pan and cook until thickened. Add pork and artichokes and simmer with dill. Serve on rice or noodles.
A serving is 7 points without rice or noodles. Very tasty.

The second dish is made with pork slices dusted with flour (I use Wondra as it is light and easy to use), browned in a pan sprayed with olive oil until lightly browned. Remove and add minced shallots, garlic and sliced mushrooms. Add chicken broth and dry sherry. Simmer with thyme and whisk until thickened. Return pork and simmer until desired doneness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. My favorite and very tasty. A serving is 6 points

Both days I served the pork dish with the same sides.

The snow pea-radish slaw was the star this week. Sliced red onion and sliced radishes are put to soak in ice water for 5 minutes. Drain and wipe dry. Add vegetable oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, dijon mustard and a bit of sugar. Stir in snow peas cut in thin slices and chill to serve. Add salt. Excellent. About 2 points per serving

For dessert I took strawberries and a mango and pureed them in a blender with water, and lemon juice. Sugar is added depending on the ripeness/sweetness of the fruit. My fruit took less than half a cup of superfine sugar. Blend and put in 8X8 dish and place in freezer. Chill at least 4 hours. Scrape into dish for serving with a mint leaf. A very nice ending to the heavier meal. About 3 points per serving

This week was a great way of cleaning out of heavier food from the freezer. Next week I will do a couple of stir frys. Have a great week and hopefully the warmer weather will continue.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, sounds like good stuff. I love pork in all forms. Don't eat much of it any more though. Great idea to clear your freezer of heavier fall/winter staples in preparation for lighter fare. Have never heard of avgolemono. Is it a sauce or a preparation?

    In answer to your questions on my blog, I do not plan to do Script Frenzy. I have enough regular writing to keep me busy. I think the novel format is where my strength is. Not sure my mind works in a way that would lend itself to a script. Ya never know though. Maybe in future years, I feel up to the challenge.

    Your ladybug will be ready for pick-up at Easter. Hopefully I will have a bunny and robin done by then too. Felt the need to do a few spring time pieces. It helps if I have a few going at one time.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete