Sunday, May 29, 2011

Carolina Preview

Next week I will be spending a week on Hilton Head Island, so this week I am preparing my taste buds for the cuisine.

Pulled Pork Barbecue
Vinegar Barbecue Sauce
Mexican Coleslaw

I have not fixed pulled pork before so this was a first and much easier than expected. I purchased a 5 pound pork shoulder. (it was a bit scary looking) The rub is made of; smoked paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar, dry mustard and sea salt. The rub is rubbed on all sides of the pork, covered with plastic and refrigerated overnight. The next day, in a foiled lined pan, the pork is roasted at 300 degrees for 6 hours. This was a wonderful piece of meat. After roasting and resting for about 30 minutes, the fat (such as it was, came off easily as did the very small bone) With two forks I pulled apart the meat. There was lots of it.

While the meat was roasting, I made the a vinegar barbecue sauce. I do product testing a couple of times a year and now had a Holland House Red Wine Vinegar to test. The recipe called for cider vinegar; I substituted the red wine. The other ingredients were yellow mustard, ketchup, sugar, garlic, cayenne, and black pepper. This is simmered until thoroughly mixed and set aside. When the pork was shredded, I added some of the sauce and saved the rest to add as desired.

The slaw was mostly my own. I don't care for 'creamy' coleslaw, made with mayonnaise. As long as I was testing the red wine vinegar I used it in the slaw as well. I bought a bag of green and red cabbage with carrots. I added chopped cilantro, diced jalepeno, and orange bell pepper. The dressing is red wine vinegar, EVOO and salt. Very crunchy and an excellent compliment to the pulled pork.

I served it on a sliced toasted Ciabatta roll, though it was just fine served without the roll.

A small dish of ice cream cooled off my pallet.

The table was excellent and I will do pulled meat again, perhaps chicken?
I will be taking a couple of weeks off for vacation. When I come back, I plan to cut back on 'red' meat and my table will be more vegetable/fruit/grain showplaces. We shall see how that goes. Have a great couple of weeks and Happy Memorial Day. Let's remember out service people; past and present.

1 comment:

  1. Another tasty post. Everything sounds great! I did a similar pork and vinegar BBQ sauce a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed this style of sauce - very flavorful but not heavy. You could still taste the meat. The slaw sounds like a good accompaniment. I really like the bagged slaw. It is so versatile. Mary bought a bag a few weeks back, and used half in pad thai. With the other half, I made a vinaigrette slaw. (We too are not big fans of the mayo based stuff.) Looking forward to hearing about your trip to Hilton Head.

    ReplyDelete