Sunday, May 1, 2011

To Celebrate Spring...

This was a lovely spring weekend. A bit cool, but lots of sun. It was also Chocolate Festival in Long Grove. I needed my annual warm chocolate donut and it was as expected. Wonderful!! I look forward to the Strawberry festival the end of June and Apple Festival in fall. The weather made the menu for this weeks Table very special. Spring brings new fruits and vegetables and I used those available in the menu. Here's what is on Marilyn's Table:

Blackberry-Bourbon Iced Tea
Herb Roasted Leg of Lamb
Roasted Artichokes, Fingerling Potatoes and Asparagus
Not Your Usual Strawberry Shortcake

The drink was a bit of a disappointment. I'm not a fan of bourbon to start with, but it sounded good. Fresh blackberries are mashed with a bit of sugar. Black tea bags are simmered in hot water, cooled and added to the blackberry mash, cooled and strained into a pitcher. It is then chilled in the fridge, poured over ice and a jigger of bourbon is added. Chopped fresh mint is stirred in at the end. A bit Blah. I was glad I was again able to get a mini bottle of bourbon so I don't have a mostly full bottle to take up space.

The lamb, however, was excellent. A rub of fresh rosemary, garlic, S&P and EVOO are blended and rubbed into the lamb. Leave to rest for about an hour before putting into oven to roast. Meanwhile clean 2 artichokes, cut in half and simmer in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Drain, remove the choke and toss with fingerling potatoes cut in half and cleaned asparagus spears with EVOO S&P. About 20 minutes before meat is cooked to desired doneness (for me medium rare) arrange artichokes, potatoes and asparagus around meat an finish roasting. Let meat rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. Serve slices with artichoke, potatoes and asparagus. Spring on a plate.

I love strawberries, but shortcakes leave me flat. So I chose an angel food cake to use for the base. I cut slices and toasted them in the oven to brown the edges. Lightly sugared berries are put on the cake, whipped cream is spooned over the top with grated dark chocolate and a fresh mint sprig. YUM!

After Cinco de Mayo next week, I expect to have more spring recipes. There are lots of spring ingredients to use; rhubarb, spring onions, ramps and who knows what will appear at the farmers market in June.

Come back for Cince de Mayo next week. One of my favorite food cultures. So much color and flavor. Have a good week and hopefully Spring is here to stay.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious (the veggies in particular)!

    Grilled cake is really good isn't it. We discovered grilled pound cake, and are now hooked. Feeling a craving for "shortcake" with grilled almond pound cake. Will have to look for berries at the co-op next weekend.

    ReplyDelete