Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'M BACK!!

OK so it's time to start my new style of eating and  fill you in on it.  I've successfully cut down on  the heavy holiday foods and begun a healthier menu.  Today the menu for Marilyn's Table is:

Sauteed Halibut with Romesco Sauce
Mediterranean Roasted Broccoli & Tomatoes
Broiled Grapefruit with Crystallized Ginger Glaze

With Lent coming in a couple of weeks, I thought it time to pursue more seafood into my menu.  Today it is halibut, a mild, firm fleshed fish.  I sauteed the steaks in EVOO after I prepared the sauce.  Red bell peppers were on sale this week so I bought half a dozen and broiled them.  After the skin is blackened they are put into a paper bag to steam.  After the steaming the blackened skin slides right off.  They are put in a blender with a softened, stemmed and seeded Ancho chili, salt, toasted sliced almonds, red wine vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, garlic and some whole grain bread. The sauce is served on top of the sauteed halibut.  Excellent and I will need to find ways to use the leftover sauce.  Perhaps on a chicken breast or tossed with pasta?

The salad/vegetable is made with roasted broccoli, cherry tomatoes, garlic, EVOO and a bit of salt. After the broccoli is lightly browned and the cherry tomatoes are softened, they are removed from the oven and tossed with grated lemon zest, lemon juice, sliced pitted olives, oregano and rinsed capers.  This can be served warm or room temperature. Either way is excellent and very colorful.

I'm not a dessert fan, but sometimes a bit of sweetness is wanted.  The glaze for the grapefruit is crystallized ginger with nutmeg and a bit of vanilla.  It is ground in my spice grinder and spread over the grapefruit half and put under the broiler.  I served Cutie slices and dried cranberries for some color.  I have not broiled grapefruit before and will do it again. Very nice ending to the meal.

Next week I will begin Lenten menus. First will be Shrove Tuesday's traditional pancakes and then the following week a Mardi Gras feast straight from New Orleans.

Have a great week and Happy Valentines Day to those of you who celebrate it!!

1 comment:

  1. Good to have you back! I missed your posts, though I did enjoy the photos you posted on Facebook.

    Everything on you table sounds great - light, colorful, flavorful, and full of lots of good stuff. I will definitely try the salad.

    Have enjoyed broiled grapefruit in the past. Will remember this preparation for the next time I do it.

    Welcome back to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete