Sunday, February 26, 2012

Let the Good Times Roll

Mardi Gras ends on Fat Tuesday, so the food that is generally prepared is a bit of a last hurrah before Lent. I decided I would do seafood since I expect to prepare a lot of fish during Lent.

The recipe I chose is a combination of several Jambalaya's and Gumbo's I found. Chicken thighs are sauteed in a large skillet until browned and the skin is rendered. They are then removed and set aside.  Onion, celery, red bell pepper and garlic are sauteed in the pan with a bit of vegetable oil.  Sliced andouille sausage is added and browned.  Thyme leaves are added with a can of diced tomatoes, bay leaves, clam juice and chicken stock The chicken thighs are put back in the pan and simmered until they are cooked through.  Remove and cool enough to handle.  Shred the chicken and return it to the pan, discarding the skin and bones.  Before serving add shrimp and cook until they are pink and cooked.  I fixed polenta instead if the usual cheese grits.  The polenta is toasted in a dry pan until lightly browned.  Chicken broth and clam juice are added and simmered until all the liquid is absorbed.  Grated cheese is stirred in.  The chicken and shrimp dish is served over the polenta with chopped parsley. Very rich, but very good.

I don't usually have dessert and last year I made a King Cake which I gave away.  Not wanting to make another one of them, I chose a variation of Bananas Foster, made famous in New Orleans.  Butter, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg are simmered in a skillet until slightly thickened.  Sliced bananas and toasted pecans are folded in and served over ice cream.  An excellent ending to an excellent meal.

In the next weeks I will be delving into the world of Mediterranean food.  I found several cookbooks in my collection I have not used and will peruse them for Marilyn's Table.  Stay Tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment