Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Taste of North Africa

This weeks table was a bit of an adventure. Originally I had not planned to investigate the cuisine of North Africa, but after  some research I found the food to be interesting and decided to give it a try.  The spice combinations are some I have not worked with thus far.  A tagine is a cooking vessel  I have seen, but not used.  I substituted a cast iron pot and I think all came out as expected.  A combination of 7 spices are used in many dishes of the region; sweet paprika, hot paprika (I used cayenne pepper), black pepper, ground ginger, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon. Also lentils, chickpeas and couscous are common.  Here is what is on the Table:

Moroccan Seven Spice Vegetable Couscous
Chicken Tagine with Artichoke Hearts and Peas

The chicken pieces (skin on and on the bone) are seasoned with salt and pepper and browned in a heavy pot.  Chopped onion and chicken stock are added and brought to a boil. A mixture of saffron threads, ginger, coriander, cumin, paprika and turmeric are added to the broth.  The pot is covered and simmered over low heat until the chicken is cooked through and then removed from the pot, the skin is removed and discarded.  Minced onion, tomatoes, preserved lemon and artichoke hearts are stirred into the broth. The chicken is returned to the sauce and at the end a bag of frozen baby peas is added.   This was a wonderful dish. I expect to repeat it again.

I am a big fan of Israeli couscous.  I prepared it per instructions on the box, but substituted chicken broth for part of the water. Set this aside for serving. Onion slices are sauteed in EVOO and a bit of butter.  Saffron, crushed red pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and black pepper are added along with a bundle of parsley, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Carrot coins, butternut squash cubes, sliced zucchini, chickpeas and a bit of sugar are simmered until vegetables are done.  The recipe called for raisins, but I used dry cranberries.  Season to taste and spoon over the couscous.  Toasted slivered almonds are a garnish.  The flavors of this dish are lovely as well as very fragrant.

My visit to North Africa was a big success.  Next week Spain is on the menu.  Stop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment