Monday, March 5, 2012

A Mediterranean Tour

Last week I mentioned my interest in the foods of the Mediterranean.  Upon further investigation I  am rethinking the project.  I pulled out a map to see the countries and cuisines which surround the Mediterranean.  I'm not sure I am going to research North Africa, Turkey or the Middle East. I think I will have my hands full putting together Tables from Greece, Italy, Spain and the South of France.

This week Marilyn's Table has seafood as the focus.  Shellfish and other finned fish are plentiful in the towns along the coastal regions. Here is what is on the table:

Seafood Cioppino
Gratin of Salmon and Spinach
Asparagus-Morel Risotto

The Cioppio is a simple, yet flavorful stew. Onions, garlic and celery are sauteed in EVOO until soft.  Canned fire roasted tomatoes, clam juice and tomato paste are added and simmered until heated through.  Red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, bay leaf and a bit of sugar are added..  Fish fillets which have been cut in chunks are folded in (I used haddock) and cooked until they flake. Shrimp which have been cut in half, one can each lump crabmeat and chopped clams complete the seafood mixture. When the shrimp are pink the stew is ready to serve with chopped parsley and garlic cheese bread.  It was a cold snowy Saturday and this really hit the spot and I look forward to reheating bowls over the course of the week.

Risotto is an excellent rice dish that is easy to prepare and very versatile.  There is no end of what to add to make a filling side dish.  This week the recipe called for chopped asparagus and morel mushrooms.  Morel mushrooms have a very short season in spring when they are fresh.  I keep dried morels so when I want to use this very unique mushroom, I have them at the ready. I reconstituted them in white wine.  After they are softened, I drained the wine into  chicken broth  heating on the back of the stove.  Diced onion is sauteed in EVOO and a bit of butter.  The chopped asparagus and mushrooms are added to the onion.  Arborio rice is mixed in until the grains are coated.  The warm stock/wine mixture is added a ladle at a time stirring until absorbed.  After all the stock has been added, the pot is removed from the heat and grated Parmesan cheese folded in.  The dish is served with minced parsley.

Whole Foods had some very nice Atlantic wild salmon.  I found a recipe using a gratin dish.  A bag of fresh spinach is wilted in a large saucepan, removed and rough chopped.  Onion and garlic are softened in EVOO.  A bit of Dijon mustard is stirred in and the spinach added. Most of the mixture is spread over the bottom of an oiled gratin dish.  The salmon is laid on top and the rest of the spinach is tucked around the sides.  Fresh lemon juice is squeezed over the top along with salt and pepper.  A handful of dry bread crumbs is sprinkled over the top. (I used Panko, my favorite)  Bake until the fish flakes.

The gratin and the risotto made an excellent meal and I found that mixing the two leftovers together a lunch to look forward to.

Next week I plan a Table from either Spain or the South of France.  Stay tuned and have a great week.


No comments:

Post a Comment