Tuesday, April 17, 2012

By the Sea in the South of France

The south of France and the area around Provence are the next stop on my culinary trip around the Mediterranean.  The Table this week centers around a seafood dish; bouillabaisse.  Seafood, all kinds of seafood are welcome in my kitchen.  However, in searching for an authentic recipe, I discovered that almost all of them 'required' eel heads.  I don't know about you, but I don't want my food watching me from the bowl!  Then I remembered I had a recipe from Old Fort Pub on Hilton Head Island.  Some of my family and I ate there when we stayed on the island last summer.  Chef Josefiak was kind enough to share the recipe with me so I prepared that one instead. Here is my Table:

Old Fort Pub's Sea Island Bouillabaisse
Pain de Provence

The bouillabaisse begins the night before by preparing a saffron aioli.  Egg yolks, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic, salt and Tabasco sauce are blended  until smooth.  A couple of pinches of saffron are added. The mixture is refrigerated overnight.  The bouillabaisse itself begins with heating EVOO in a large pot.  Whole shrimp (in the shell) and large scallops are added and seared lightly adding a bit of salt and pepper.  Mussels, crab meat, Tasso ham, white wine and clam juice are added and simmered covered until the mussels are completely open (those that don't open, throw away!). Add thinly sliced, blanched collard greens, the aioli and roasted Roma tomato slices.  Cook just until heated through, but not boiling.  Season to taste with S&P and Tabasco sauce.  Serve in warm bowls.

I remembered the broth being fabulous and decided a hardy bread for sopping it up was in order.  I have not made a yeast bread in many years.  I came across a recipe for a herb bread that sounded interesting. The night before a poolish (sponge) is made with bread flour, warm water and a bit of yeast.  It is covered and left on the counter overnight.  To make the dough , combine flour, the rest of the packet of yeast, and 1/2 cup of Herbes de Provence.  Add the poolish and a small single serving bottle of Grand Marnier (yes you read that right, orange flavored liquor is in the mix) and more water to make a workable dough.  Knead for about 10 minutes and place in a lightly oiled bowl.  Cover and let raise to double.  Punch down, cover and raise again.  After the second raising, I divided the dough into two round loaves, covered with a damp towel and let it raise again.  While they are raising, preheat the oven and two pizza stones.  Before placing the loaves on the hot stones, score the tops with a sharp knife.  Place a pan of boiling water under the stones and bake the loaves until browned and 'hollow sounding'. The water in the oven helps form a crust.  Let cool.  This is a VERY fragrant bread and was perfect for dipping in the broth.

I took the suggestion of the gentleman at the liquor store bought a nice inexpensive French white wine that was excellent with the seafood.  All around this was a spectacular meal.  Because there are so many excellent French dishes I will revisit after I have made my way the rest of the way around the Mediterranean.

Next week I will take a break for this tour.  It's National Grilled Cheese month and I am working on a recipe to possibly enter in the Wisconsin Cheese Board contest.  We shall see how it turns out.  Stay tuned.







No comments:

Post a Comment