Monday, June 18, 2012

THE FARMERS MARKET IS OPEN

I've been waiting for several weeks for the Buffalo Grove Farmers' Market to open.  It turned out that it was well worth the wait. I expect my table each week will feature items I purchased.  This week included Michigan strawberries & asparagus; and local rainbow Swiss chard and radishes.   They were exactly what I  needed to complete my table which featured gingered pork tenderloin.

Gingered Pork Tenderloin
Sauteed Rainbow Swiss Chard
Grilled Lemon Asparagus
Mixed Greens with Radishes, Cucumber and Strawberries: Feta Buttermilk Dressing

The tenderloin is marinated overnight in soy sauce, chicken broth, canola oil, minced ginger, sugar, minced garlic, rosemary and thyme. The tenderloin is removed from the marinade which is discarded.  Then the meat is browned on a grill pan and finished in the oven. The chard is sauteed in a bit of oil, garlic, a pinch of red pepper flakes and lightly salted and peppered. The chard served as a bed for the slices of pork.

Asparagus has so many applications, but a favorite of mine is grilled.  When it is plated, a dusting of lemon zest, a squeeze of the juice and a pinch of salt and pepper were added.

The salad is simple; mixed baby greens, chopped cucumber, sliced radishes and the smaller strawberries are tossed with a feta buttermilk dressing.  The dressing is buttermilk, Greek yogurt, minced shallots, a pinch of red pepper flakes and crumbled feta cheese.

I was very happy with this meal and I look forward to next week. One of the vendors has grass fed beef, bison, chicken and several other proteins.  My entree will be one of these so I will need to do some recipe research.  Have a great week and keep cool!!!

1 comment: