Sunday, December 5, 2010

The First Snowfall of the Winter...

The first snowfall is always something to behold. The trees on the property and around the lake take on a frosted appearance. It continued to snow on my drive to campus for the Empty Bowls event. Always a good time to celebrate birthdays. Campus, being in a forest preserve, looks almost like a black and white photo. It never ceases to take my breath away. Arriving back at home it was time to start my meal for the table. Cold and snow bring out the crock pot for some comfort food. This week the table holds:

Wine Braised Brisket with Carrots and Onions
Baby Greens with Pistachio Vinaigrette, Beets and Feta Cheese
Herb Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

The brisket is browned well on all sides and set aside so that onions and garlic can be caramelized. The meat is put back in the pot with red wine, beef broth, rosemary, quartered carrots, tomato paste and seasonings. It cooks about 3 hours until meat is easily shredded.

The fingerling potatoes were tossed with EVOO and Italian seasonings. Because they are small roasting time is about 30 minutes.

The salad is very colorful and an interesting mix of flavors. The vinaigrette is EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, Dijon mustard and seasonings. Chopped pistachios are added and tossed with the cooked sliced beets to marinate. At serving time, Feta cheese is added to the beets and tossed with baby greens. Chopped pistachios are used for garnish. The sweetness of the beets pairs well the Feta. A fine compliment for the richness of the brisket.

A small bowl of red grapes with a cup of tea finished off the table.

Next week begins preparations for Christmas. So I expect some baking will take center stage. That will leave, on the table, a meal of something quick and easy. Perhaps a pot of chili and cornbread.

Have a great week. Keep warm!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Been craving some slow-cooked beef lately. This recipe sounds promising. The salad sounds creative and has all my favorites in it. Will remember it for the next time I have fresh beets.

    On a separate note, I was thinking about designing you some art for your blog heading. Any thoughts? I have gone to altering mine seasonally, so that is a possibility for you too. (You know me and 4 seasons art.) Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good dish. Let me know what you think should you try it.

    Would love to have some of your art work. I'm a seasonal person too (you must have inheritated that) I want to add photos to my blog with the table. Will perhaps bring my laptop at Christmas and can try photos from whatever we have?

    ReplyDelete