Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Weather Outside is REALLY Frightful....

It's been a snowy, windy couple of days. Not a lot of snow but enough ice to make walking and driving a challenge. Definitely not a time to be outside for any length of time. It was a perfect weekend for holiday baking. My table this week is primarily covered with cookies. I do, however, have an interesting supper. Here is what is on the table:

Grilled Beer Brats over Braised Brussels Sprouts and Shallots

Cookies:
Brownie Bourbon Balls
Grandma Miller's Sugar Cookies
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
Peppermint Bars

Spinach Artichoke Pasta Salad

I love Brussels Sprouts. I know I'm in the minority, but it all depends on how they are prepared. I grilled two beer brats and then sauteed deconstructed sprouts (outer leaves removed and tossed with the core cut in half)and sliced shallots in the drippings. A bit of beef broth is added and covered until the sprouts are cooked. The brats are sliced and tossed with the vegetables. A warm filling comfort meal.

The cookies are some I have always made and others I have not. Th brownie bourbon balls were new. A pan of brownies is baked and cooled. They are then broken up and
processed with a few tablespoons of bourbon. When it comes together I used a small ice cream scoop and made balls. They are rolled is chopped toasted pecans and set out to firm up. They smell fabulous, hope they taste the same.

It would not be the holiday's if there were no sugar cookies. It's a simple butter cookie recipe dropped by small balls and baked. While still warm they are sprinkled with red and green sugars. Festive and great with a cup of tea or hot cider.

I have made red velvet cookies before and they are always well received. This time instead of spreading the cream cheese frosting on top, I spread on the bottom of one and covered it with another cookies to make a sandwich. I sampled one and am pleased with the change.

The peppermint bars are 'semi-homemade' A roll of sugar cookie dough is pressed into the bottom of a pan and partially baked. Then mini marshmallows are spread over the top and white chocolate chips are added. The dough is returned to the oven for a few minutes until the marshmallows are puffed. When it comes out of the oven, crushed peppermint candies are sprinkled over the top and the pan is cooled. Bars are cut into squares. These are excellent and quite sweet. Small bars are best.

I am particularly excited with the pasta salad. It is our library potluck tomorrow and instead of a sweet, I decided on the salad. Have not made it before, but I think it will be enjoyed by all. It's pretty much vegetarian. Chopped artichokes, roasted red pepper, red onion and chopped baby spinach. Cheese filled spinach tortellini are cooked and cooled and added to the vegetables. A dressing of lemon, garlic, lemon zest red wine vinegar and EVOO is tossed with the pasta mixture. I had a small bowl and am happy with it. Will make it again when I need to bring for a crowd.

I will be away visiting family in Atlanta next week so I will be back Christmas weekend. I have my own graphic artist so look for some additions to my blog. Have a happy and safe holiday. Bon Appetite!!

1 comment:

  1. The brat and brussels sprout (We like them too. Any way but boiled.) dish sounds great.

    Intrigued by the peppermint bars. Being a mint person, Mary might enjoy those.

    Your pasta salad sounds really tasty.

    Will be working on a few ideas for your blog while you are away.

    ReplyDelete